Thomas Markle will not attend the wedding of his daughter Meghan to Prince Harry, Kensington Palace has confirmed.
In a statement released by the palace Ms Markle said she hoped he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health.
The announcement comes just two days before the nuptials are due to take place.
Ms Markle said: Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding.
I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health.
I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support.
Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday.
Mr Markle is in Mexico, recovering after undergoing heart surgery on Wednesday to implant three stents.
The reclusive former TV lighting director, who had been due to walk his daughter down the aisle, was caught up in controversy after allegedly being caught staging photographs with the paparazzi.
He reportedly pulled out of attending the ceremony in St Georges Chapel on 19 May to avoid embarrassing his daughter, but then later said before his surgery that he wanted to be part of history and hoped to be there, according celebrity website TMZ.